ECArTE Full Member
Madrid: Complutense de Madrid
Course Title: Masters in Art Therapy and Art Education for Social Inclusion
Offered in co-ordination with University Autonoma de Madrid and University of Valladolid
Duration: Two years, full-time.
Entry Requirements: First degree in a relevant subject, for example, arts, psychology, or education.
Course Philosophy and Main Theoretical Approaches:
Corpus acquisition of theoretical and methodological research and interdisciplinary work in the following areas:
Working as members of a multi-disciplinary team comprising psychologists, social workers, educators, social and occupational therapists, with populations at risk of social exclusión; and professional integration of multidisciplinary teams (doctors / as, psychologists, nurses, occupational therapists, etc..) in the management and treatment of psychological distress resulting from physical or mental illness. The working context would be in Psychosocial Rehabilitation Centres (CRPS) for people with mental illness; care centers immigrants (CASIS) day-care centres and nursing homes, child protection centres, centres of social services, hospitals, comprehensive care centres for women and prisons.
Working as members of a multi-disciplinary team (psychologists, educators and special social, educational psychologists / as, etc.) with students with special needs and professional insertion areas of special education, compensatory education, classroom links, etc. Art is an effective vehicle for the transmission of education in values, work issues such as co-education, racism, school violence, conflict resolution in the classroom.
Students will work in museums, cultural centres, socio-cultural associations. It will address the professional work as a catalyst for social change processes and dialogical networking between groups with multiple identities in the service of the community where it is placed.
Students who complete this masters will be capable of:
• analysis of proposals from the art, are being made to contribute to memory, identity construction and the idea of citizenship
• transmission through arts education for inclusion, the idea of citizenship under construction, the need to remember and develops the need to remember and process memory, and the right to build their own story
• contribution to the construction of personal and collective biographies from creating and enabling the empowerment of historically and socially disadvantaged groups
• knowledge of courses of actions focusing on capacity and health by promoting personal and social re-definition of groups with disabilities
• research in the areas listed above, providing research methodologies, methods and modes of assessment need to address it.
Compulsory module (University Complutense of Madrid) first semester:
• Core studies in art therapy and art education for social inclusion (6 ECTS)
• Creativity and art (6 ECTS)
• Psychological processes and core studies in psychotherapy (6 ECTS)
• Art therapy workshop (i) (9 ECTS)
During the second semester, students have to choose between these two modules:
Specialization and research on clinical, social and educational settings (University Autonoma of Madrid)
• Areas of art therapy, art therapeutic dynamics (6 ECTS)
• Art, emotion and empathy (6 ECTS)
• Art therapy workshop (ii) (9 ECTS)
Specialization and research on cultural settings (University of Valladolid)
• Principles of education for special needs in non formal settings (9 ECTS)
• Museums as educational spaces for social inclusion: methodologies, models and educational designs (6 ECTS)
• Educational programmes and designs in art therapy in cultural settings (6 ECTS)
During the third and fourth semester students must do:
• Supervised practicum in chosen fields (clinical, educational, social or cultural) (24 ECTS)
• Research seminar (6 ECTS)
All students have to present a final masters paper which has to be defended in front of a jury which resumes and demonstrates all competences acquired during the masters. This work will be conducted and supervised by a tutor (12 ECTS).
Qualification Awarded: MA in Art Therapy and Art Education in Social Inclusion
Language: All modules are taught in Spanish
Student Exchange Opportunities:
Complutense de Madrid is able to offer student exchange opportunities with ECArTE member universities where there is an Erasmus bilateral agreement between the universities involved.
The University is able to offer a clinical placement opportunity in art therapy for ECArTE member students where there is an Erasmus agreement between the universities involved. The duration and the timing would be determined by that agreement.
Peer reviewed internationally distributed scientific publications in arts therapies:
• Scientific review Arteterapia. Papeles de arteterapia y educación artística para la inclusion social. University Complutense Press. (1 volume per year)
• López Fdz Cao, M. (ed.) (2006) Art and possibility. Madrid: Fundamentos.
• López F. Cao, M .y Martinéz Díez. N. (2006) Art Therapy. Madrid, tutor.
• Collection: Possibilities of being through creation: art and equity, 13 guides for teachers in education setting. Awarded with the prize for good curriculum practices with social value, 2010, by the government of Andalucia.
Ongoing research projects in arts therapies:
• Art therapies in cultural settings.
• Museums as areas of social inclusion through art
Complutense de Madrid is interested in research collaboration with ECArTE Members. The particular research interests are:
• art therapy and social inclusion
• art therapy and gender equity
• art therapy and cultural settings
Federación Española de Asociaciones Profesionales de Arteterapia (FEAPA)
Email address: www.feapa.es
Professional Body or Ministry:
Students are not obliged to register with a professional association in order to practise as an arts therapist.
The course has been approved by the National Board of Universities and the Ministry of Education.
Code of Ethics:
FEAPA code of ethics
Contact person: Prof. Dr. Marián López FDz. Cao
Senior lecturer, co-ordinator of the programme
Postal address: Despacho 1612. Facultad de Educación. Universidad Complutense de Madrid c/ Rector Royo Villanova s/n. 28040
Telephone number: 0034 91394 6214
University website: www.ucm.es
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org