ECArTE Full Member
Nantes: University of Nantes
Course Title: Diplôme d’Université de Musicothérapie
Duration: Three academic years, part-time: 14 to 15 weeks in University plus training periods, total length 1358 hours. The syllabus may be shortened at the discretion of the scientific committee, on the basis of previous theoretical attainments or professional experience.
• possession of a three years nationally validated university degree (medical and non-medical qualifications including social, pedagogical, artistic)
• musical studies and regular musical practise
• experience in interpersonal relationship
• alternative academic knowledge or confirmed experience may be accepted at the discretion of the scientific committee
Course Philosophy and Main Theoretical Approaches:
• mainly psychoanalytic: Freudian and theoretical developments from Anzieu, Kaës, Mises, Lecourt; Kleinian and posts (Bion, Winnicott…)
• others: cognitivist
The diploma gives the students the requisite skills for the practice of music therapy, within or in collaboration with care teams. The programme is designed specifically to give students theoretical, methodological and practical ways to understand psychological and relational processes of music therapy, aiming for the mastery of therapeutic and psychopedagogic professional applications.
The numerous training periods in hospital allow the development of a network which can facilitate professional openings. The training course is organised in partnership with Nantes Institute of Music Therapy. It conforms to European standards for the profession of music therapist and ensures quality and the promotion of the diploma, via the European Music Therapy Confederation (EMTC) in addition to ECArTE.
The course comprises 5 modules and 27 Units:
• Module 1: Psychology & psychiatry (general approach)
• Module 2: General training to practice of music therapy
• Module 3: Specialised training in music therapy
• Module 4: Seminars & workshops
• Module 5: Training periods in hospital
Qualification Awarded: Diplôme d’Université de Musicothérapie
Language: All modules are taught in French. One course may be taught in English: International Developments (historical, experiences in Europe mainly).
Student Exchange Opportunities:
Exchange opportunities could be offered, as a training period mainly, and on the basis of attendance to courses (to be examined), providing knowledge of English for the French students, and French for the European students,
A clinical placement opportunity for ECArTE member students might be offered in Music Therapy.
Research is not conducted by the University, but academic teachers may participate in or collaborate in clinical researches conducted by the Institute of Music Therapy.
European Music Therapy Confederation (EMTC) & the French Music Therapy Federation
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Professional Body or Ministry:
Students are not obliged to register with a professional association.
Code of Ethics:
Ethical code from Fédération Française des Art-Thérapeutes
& from Fédération Française de Musicothérapie
Contact person: Prof. Olivier Bonnot, M.D., Ph.D
Hôpital Mère Enfant – CHU de Nantes
Unité Universitaire de Psychiatrie de l’Enfant et de l’Adolescent
7 quai Moncousu, F-44093 Nantes
Courriel: email@example.com et chu-nantes.fr