Satakunta University of Applied Sciences, Pori
Course Title: BA Art Therapy/ Social Worker
Duration: 3 years part-time
- a degree in psychiatric nursing, social work or other relevant degree
- evidence of a commitment to visual art practice
- at least two year’s working experience in related field prior to entry
- experience of personal therapy or experiential group
Course Philosophy and Main Theoretical Approaches:
- theory and practice of art therapy
- group dynamics
- theory and practice of psychotherapy (main school psychodynamic and interactive)
- practical placement in a public sector institution (such as hospital, clinic, social services, private sector, school
- supervision in placement
- experiential groups, large and small
- personal art work
- theories of art, group dynamics, psychiatrics
- studying & communication skills and interaction
- social work & lifelong progress
- the client of the social worker in the multiprofessional co-operation
- points of departure in art therapy
- art therapy in groups
- analysis skills
- the methods of social work
- research and developing skills in professional work
- art therapy in rehabilitation
- clinical placement in environments of art therapy/supervision
- developing skills
- application, analysis, interpretation & research, and research & development in art therapy
Total: 210 ECTs
Student’s own therapy continues throughout the training.
Qualification awarded: BA Art Psychotherapy
Language: All modules are delivered in Finnish apart from some delivered in English by foreign visiting lecturers.
Student Exchange Opportunities: Satakunta University BA programme is able to offer student exchange opportunities with ECArTE member universities.
The programme is able to offer a clinical placement opportunity in Tallinn.
Satakunta University is interested in research collaboration with other universities.
In Finland the arts therapies have their own organizations. The professional body for art therapy is the Finnish Association of Art Therapists. This is voluntary for students.
The course is approved by the government as part of the training of social workers.
Code of Ethics:
Finnish Association of Art Therapists
Contact person: Päivi-Maria Hautala PhD
Full-time lecturer in charge of AT education
Postal address: Satakunta University of Applied Sciences, Administrative Services
Tiedepuisto 3, FI-28600 Pori, Finland
Tel.: +358-(0)2 620 3000
Fax: +358-(0)2 620 3030